Being a 4 year student athlete at Winona has been fun and all, however it is a huge time comittment with a lot of sacrifices. Sometimes you feel that your social life is being cock blocked by a sport which is 100% true. In this blog today I’m going to talk about the first world problems of being a student athlete. So welcome to my life in a nutshell right here.
1. No drinking 24 hours before a practice and 48 hours before a meet. (We have practice every day and a meet almost every weekend, therefore going out is non existent).
2. Never able to look cute for class. As as student athlete we have lifting and practice all the time, therefore going to class in your work out clothes or all sweaty is usually my regular appearance.
3. Coming back on Sunday nights where group meetings and campaigns meetings will consume your life the rest of the night. Being a student athlete usually I will travel 4-9 hours for most meets and when I get back Sunday night I usually have to stay on campus the rest of the night wanting to shoot myself.
4. Have never been able to go out on a thirsty thursday.
5. Going home on weekends will not happen all semester.
6. My team is my family. We eat together, cry together laugh together and are each others best support system.
7. A lot of your weekend nights consist of hanging out with a recruit
8. Your friends give you shit for not ever going out and calling you lame, when in reality you would love to but you can’t because of the drinking rules.
9. Having the biggest appetite because your life consists of working out. All you want to do is eat.
10. You think planning your registration for classes is hard? Try planning your schedule around tennis meets, lifting and every day practices. IMPOSSIBLE.
So it’s that time where Easter is the next holiday around. Easter is known for the awesome candy, pastel colors and pretty good food. I love sharing recipes, so I am going to share a few with you on here today. The first recipe I’m going to share that is a must is very simple and that is puppy chow, however it’s the Easter style puppy chow. All you need to do is buy a giant bag of peanut butter M&M’s and toss them in.
9 cups of crispy rice cereal
1/2 cup of peanut butter
1 cup of chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups of confectioners sugar
1 bag of peanut butter M&M’s
In a saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate; add peanut butter and mix until smooth.
Remove from heat, add cereal and stir until coated.
Pour powdered sugar into large plastic bag, add coated cereal and shake until well coated. Store in airtight container.
Another very simple recipe for Easter is pretzels with a hershey kiss and M&M on top which are called belly buttons. It’s very easy and cheap to make! Here are the directions
Bite-size, waffle-shaped pretzels
Milk chocolate Hershey’s Kisses
M&M’s candy in your preferred variety. Milk chocolate with peanuts are a favorite combination.
Heat the oven to 175° F. Set a number of bite-size, waffle-shaped pretzels (one for each treat) in a single layer on a cookie sheet, then top each pretzel with an unwrapped Hershey’s Kiss.
Bake for 5 minutes, until the chocolates are soft when touched with a wooden spoon. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and quickly press an M&M’s candy into the center of each Kiss.
Allow the treats to cool thoroughly before storing.
Many of us are about to graduate, including myself which is the most bitter sweet things I have ever experienced. As my dad says this is the most humbling part of your life due to frustration. My newest past time hobby includes….applying for jobs…non stop. I personally believe the most frustrating part of the process is having an interview with a company and afterwards realizing you are more overqualified for that job and not even getting it. Also it’s going to be a harsh reality when going out and drinking whenever you please is a thing of the past. The day drinking, thirsty thursdays, sunday fundays, and whatever else occasion you find to drink are numbered. Because come on, who day drinks at home with their parents after graduation? I have accepted the fact that in one short month I will be living at home with my parents, unemployed and single. But hey I guess i’m not alone on that one. Also the conversations about how we were freshman getting written up in the dorms for drinking are becoming frequent throw back conversations that seem to happen more and more long ago. For the time being i’m going to soak up every moment of being a careless college student before it’s time to be a real person. Sunday Funday anyone?
Easter is right around the corner and sure it’s not as hyped up as other holidays, however the Reeses egg makes Easter just that much more exciting. From what I know almost the entire population is obsessed with Reese eggs. I swear they have crack in them, they are just too good. There are giant, medium sized and mini Reeses eggs in which buying in bulk is always the safer decision. The best thing also is that they are only 47 cents at freedom gas station! Doesn’t get much better than that right? When it comes to my Easter basket every year, I always request the easter bunny to put a shit ton of Reeses eggs in it. Why? Because Reeses eggs aren’t available all year long so when these eggs go into hibernation until the next Easter I want to be as prepared as possible to handle the situation. I’m sure many of you feel my pain as well with the situation. Oh- and if you feel really adventurous buy the white chocolate reeses eggs, they are just as good, if not better than the milk chocolate. Therefore when you have a free moment of time consider buying as many Reeses eggs as possible because your time is becoming numbered with these little slices of heaven.